March 2021: Character of the Month – Commander Alex Rodham
For March we are getting to know Challenger‘s new first officer and chief helm officer. A former honouree member of the crew, due to the fact he was married to its former chief engineer and first officer (Commander Michael Stanton), the latest addition to the ship brings with him a wealth of experience to help them in the fight against the Romulans. Here are five facts about the new flyboy:
- Alex comes from a well-known family. His mother, Diane Rodham, is President of the United States of America. Alex tries to avoid being pulled into his mother’s career in politics, but when he does return home the White House is one place where he may stay.
- Originally he had not planned to become a pilot, but was noted at Starfleet Training Command as a natural pilot but struggled with the engineering and technical aspects of the job. Thankfully he was tutored by a fellow cadet, Michael Stanton, which resulted in the two eventually becoming romantically involved.
- After serving on two ships for almost six years, Alex was offered to join the teaching staff at STC as an Assistant Professor in flight operations. While at STC, he gained the nickname of Professor McHotty by a group of cadets from the class of ’51.
- Rodham had taught at STC for almost five years before he was promoted and given the opportunity to join the fourth NX-class ship, Discovery. Originally he was the second officer before he was made first officer after the previous post holder was given command of their own ship.
- A keen athlete, Rodham is known to enjoy spending time in the gym when he is off duty or watching the latest sporting updates from Earth.
You can read more about Rodham here!